Friday, March 9, 2012

Help with bored, old dog?

I have had my dog for 11 years. He's in pretty good health sans two main issues: mild arthritis, and slight doggy amnesia (he thinks house plants are outdoor plants and, consequently, pees on them.) Our vet told us that he will most likely never remember his potty training again; thus, the only option I have is to carry him around with me while I'm at home and leave him in his crate or the laundry room when I'm at school/work. He is getting quite bored by this arrangement, however. I cannot take him on walks due to the possibility of sustaining a knee injury, as he has had 3 knee surgeries already. He is in wonderful health otherwise, and putting him down is not an option. How can I help entertain a lap dog?Help with bored, old dog?
Well, since he is an old dog, take it easy! Go to your local pet store and get some toys for him to chew, not go crazy over. Although he is very old and probably not too flexible, exercise is still very important. Take him for very short walks throughout the day. Exercise him on flat ground as it is less intense pressure on the joints. When your dog shows that it's tired, don't force him to do anything. Just walk him home, and let him rest. Rest is very, very, important for an old dog.



Hope I helped!

Good Luck :)
To give him exercise without stressing his knees, I would suggest a swimming program.



In the Bay Area there is rehab for dogs at a place called Scout's House. They have a list of resources. Website below.



One thing I don't understand: if he just pees on houseplants, why not just keep him away from the houseplants?Help with bored, old dog?
Why dont you try to potty train him again? It would not hurt and he may relearn the task.
1. Baby gate the dog onto a waterproof surface (kitchen area perhaps?) that has more room.

2. Since the silk plants have got to go anyway, that problem is taken care of.

3. Get some toys like a Kong, the Kong Wobble, the Buster Cube, etc. for your dog to play with while you are out. That should keep him busy for a while and stimulate him mentally while you are away.

Thank you for not giving up on your friend and attending to his mental health needs! I hope this helps!Help with bored, old dog?
There are incontinence dog diapers for this. I suggest looking into getting some. That way he doesn't have to be secluded all day.

http://tinkletrousers.com/

http://www.seniorpetproducts.com/catalog鈥?/a>
you take out on leash and don't let run and jump

No comments:

Post a Comment